Monday, November 22, 2010

New Recipe: Stuffed Acorn Squash

I've tried the last little while to be better at enjoying produce in its season, especially when you can get them at a great price. The last time I went shopping, Acorn squash was on sale. So I looked up a recipe in my cookbook and stuffed acorn squash sounded like a good one. I modified it quite a bit though because 1. we didn't need to make near as much as the recipe called for 2. because neither Steve or I are fans of stuffing and 3) because I don't really enjoy sausage or red meat...
Becca's modified Acorn Squash recipe:

1 acorn squash
1/3 lb. lean ground turkey
1/2 small onion, minced
Pinch paprika
Crumbs from 1 peice of whole wheat bread
1/3 cup beef broth
pinch salt
pinch Montreal Steak Seasoning
1 tsp. grated parmesan cheese

Mix all ingredients except Acorn squash.

Cut squash in half; scrape strings and seeds from inside (save seeds for roasting YUM!). Discard stringy pulp.

Parboil the squash, cut side down in a small amount of boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove from water and pat dry. Brush inside and tops of cut side with butter.

Divide meat mixture evenly.

Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for about 1 hour, or until the squash is tender.

We really enjoyed it. I should have gotten a picture. I'll make sure I do that next time.

No comments: